top of page
  • Writer's pictureWorldlink

Travel restrictions and exemptions

Australia has strict border measures in place to protect the health of the Australian community. Very limited flights are currently available to and from Australia and you may not be able to travel at this time. Travel restrictions are subject to change.

Unless arriving on a quarantine-free flight from New Zealand, all travellers arriving in Australia, including Australian citizens, must quarantine for 14 days at a designated facility, such as a hotel in their port of arrival.​ See Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for travellers. You may be required to pay for the costs of your quarantine. To find out more about quarantine requirements, contact the relevant state or territory government health department.

You cannot come to Australia unless you are in an exempt category or you have been granted an individual exemption to the current travel restrictions.

The majority of travel exemption requests to come to Australia are finalised within 7 days, but some complex requests may take longer.

If you are not in an exempt category you can request an individual exemption to Australia's travel.

Exempt categories

You are automatically exempt from the travel restrictions and can enter Australia (without obtaining an individual exemption) if you are:

· an Australian citizen

· a permanent resident of Australia

· an immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident*

· a New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia and their immediate family members

· a person who has been in New Zealand for 14 days or more immediately prior to arrival by air in Australia

· a diplomat accredited to Australia, including their immediate family members (each member of the family unit must hold a valid subclass 995 visa)

· a person transiting Australia for 72 hours or less

· airline crew, maritime crew including marine pilots

· a person recruited under the Government approved Seasonal Worker Program or Pacific Labour Scheme

· a person who holds a Business Innovation and Investment (subclass 188) visa.

* If you hold a temporary visa or do not yet hold a valid visa for Australia, you must provide proof of your relationship (such as your marriage certificate, evidence of your de-facto relationship such as shared finances or property, your birth certificate or birth certificate for your children) to the Department before you travel to Australia. Do not travel until we advise that you can.

You need to carry evidence that you meet one of the above categories when travelling. Additional evidence may be requested.


bottom of page